VisGap - The Gap between Visualization Research and Visualization Software
held in conjunction with EuroVis 2021
June 14, 2021
Over the years, many visualization methods and tools have been developed and published by the visualization research community. However, most of these are prototypes and never reach a state that can be reliably used by the target audience, e.g., domain scientists. Also, availability of these prototypes as source code or at least as executables is still the exception rather than the norm. The VisGap Symposium aims to shed a light on this gap between research and practical applicability, examine the obstacles every researcher faces, and propose solutions to overcome this problem as a community.
VisGap’20 aims at gathering experts from all over the visualization community in order to advance the way our field works with software, sustains software, and values the effort our members put into developing said software.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Requirements for successful visualization in applications in general
- Domain-specific requirements for visualizations
- Reflections on the research community and the visualization software ecosystem
- Incentives and funding for developing/maintaining visualization research software
- Legal requirements (e.g., licensing, certification) for visualizations in applications
- Case studies of (un)successful visualization solutions in applications
- Requirements for novel visualization libraries
Call for Papers
We solicit papers with 4-8 pages in the VisGap 2021 latex style (coming soon) (see above for the scope of the workshop), with an additional page allowed for references. All submissions must be original works that have not been published previously in any conference proceedings, magazine, journal, or edited book or must present a substantial extension of previous work (at least 30%). Papers are to be submitted via PCS.
All submissions will undergo a single-blind, single-stage peer review process. Accepted papers will be published by the Eurographics Association, and be stored in the Eurographics Digital Library. At least one author of each accepted paper must register and participate in the VisGap 2020 workshop to present the accepted work.
Paper Submission Information will follow.
- March 10, 2021 Submission deadline
- April 10, 2021 Notification
- April 24, 2021 Camera ready version
- June 14, 2021 Workshop